Series 4 of Merlin will air in autumn 2011. It began on 1 October 2011 at 7.50 on BBC One. The series was originally cut to ten episodes from the previous series' 13 due to financial issues. However, Johnny Capps revealed on 18 March 2011 that the show has been increased to its original 13 weekly episodes, opening with a two-parter. Filming started in mid-March 2011 in Cardiff, Wales and Pierrefonds, France This season is said to be darker and more mature than the rest, with the other three having a few violent scenes, and this one having much more. Most characters will show a darker side to their personality. The official tagline for the fourth series is: The Darkest Hour Is Just Before The Dawn. At the SDCC Merlin Panel, it was confirmed that due to the show's increasing popularity, a fifth season has been commissioned by the BBC, and is likely to air the same time next year.
With Uther a shadow of his former self and unable to rule Camelot, it comes up to Merlin and Arthur to protect the kingdom from any possible threat and enemy.
Meanwhile, Morgana continues to take revenge on Camelot and Agravaine, a relative of Arthur, arrives to support him but is he a relative to be trusted?
- Official Poster from Comic-Con: here.
- Official Bloopers shown at Comic-Com here.
- Spoilers revealed at Comic-Con here.
- BBC Official Merlin Series 4 Teaser here.
- Full T4 Interview showing briefly high quality clips from Merlin Comic con 2011 here.
- Another trailer here.
- First preview clip from "The Darkest Hour" here.
- Another clip from "The Darkest Hour" here.
- Extended preview scene from "The Darkest Hour" here.
- Sneak Peak from 'The Darkest Hour Part 2" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqfv93jFbrU
- Sneak Peak from "The Wicked Day" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmJStj7Ddzw
- Official Trailer "Aithusa" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMhHDYYroRM
Cast to Appear
- Colin Morgan as Merlin/Emrys/Dragoon
- Bradley James as Arthur Pendragon
- Angel Coulby as Guinevere
- Katie McGrath as Morgana Pendragon
- Anthony Head as Uther Pendragon (Episode 1 - 3)
- Richard Wilson as Gaius
- John Hurt as the voice of Kilgharrah the Great Dragon
- Eoin Macken as Sir Gwaine
- Santiago Cabrera as Sir Lancelot
- Tom Hopper as Percival
- Rupert Young as Sir Leon
- Adetomiwa Edun as Elyan
- Emilia Fox as Morgause
- Michael Cronin as Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Trevor Sellers as Iseldir
- David Schofield as Alined
- Georgia Moffett as Lady Vivian
- Joseph Mawle as Alvarr
- Caroline Faber as Hunith
- Harry Melling as Gilli
- Warwick Davis as Grettir
- Laura Donnelly as Freya
- Asa Butterfield as Mordred (will not appear in series 4) source
- Alice Patten as Ygraine Pendragon
- Michelle Ryan as Nimueh
- Nathaniel Parker as Agravaine (appears in all 13 episodes)
- Gemma Jones as The Cailleach (episode 1 & 2, The Darkest Hour)
- James Greene as Ferryman (ep. 1 & 2)
- Anya Beth Davies as a girl who is rescued by Percival (ep. 1)
- Charlie Petryszyn as rescued child by Percival (ep. 1)
- William Rowlands as rescued child by Percival (ep. 1)
- Zee Asha as Audrey (ep. 1, cook)
- Katie Moore as Drea (ep. 1)
- Sarah Beck Mather as Vilia (ep. 2, spirits of brooks and streams)
- Phil Davis as The Gleeman (episode 3, The Wicked Day)
- Phil Holden as Geldred (episode 3)
- Kyle Lima as Guard (episode 3)
- James Callis as Julius Borden (episode 4, Aithusa) (an old pupil of Gaius)
- Lindsay Duncan as Queen Annis (episode 5)
- Janet Montgomery as a visiting princess to Camelot (ep. 11)
- Miranda Raison as Isolde (ep. 12 & 13)
- Ben Daniels as Tristan (ep. 12 & 13)
- Charlenne MacKenna as Lamia
- Hayley Bishop as Caelia
- Sinora Maria as Queen Laila
- Steven Hartley as King Carleon
- Emma Tainton as Servant
- Andrew Fowler as Knight of Camelot
- Zig Byfield as Goron
- Terence Maynard as Helios
- Gary Lewis as sorcerer
- Wayne Foskett as John Howden
- Paul Kynman as Sir Cador
- Maureen Carr as Dochraid (ghoul who lives in Camelot)
- Tom Meredith as Eoghan
Please put only officially released synopses in the episode description fields. You can find them here, new ones will be released every Thursday from now on until the series ends.
|No.||Title||Director||Writer||Original Air Date||UK Viewers (millions)|
|1||The Darkest Hour - Part 1||Alice Troughton||Julian Jones||1st October 2011||6.40|
| Merlin faces his toughest challenge yet when Morgana's blinkered determination threatens not only Arthur's future, but also the very balance of the world. With her magic stronger than ever, the sorceress summons the mighty Cailleach to tear open the veil between the worlds.
Hellish creatures pour forth, killing all who succumb to their touch. With Uther a shadow of his former self, it falls to Arthur and his loyal knights, including Lancelot, to protect the kingdom.
But it will take more than just swords to vanquish their enemy and Merlin is shocked to the core when he discovers the only way to restore the equilibrium requires a sacrifice of unimaginable proportions...
|2||The Darkest Hour - Part 2||Alice Troughton||Julian Jones||8th October 2011||5.54|
| The kingdom is on the brink of collapse and Morgana poised to strike. As Lancelot races back to Camelot with the dying Merlin, Arthur must continue on his mission to vanquish the Dorocha without them. Though the Knights know their journey to the Isle of the Blessed is fraught with danger, none could anticipate the sacrifice Arthur intends to make there.
Friendship and loyalty are tested to the limit, but in the end, it's the power of love that changes all their lives for ever.
|3||The Wicked Day||Alice Troughton||Howard Overman||15th October 2011|
| The mighty citadel is buzzing in anticipation of the Prince's birthday celebrations, as the fantasy drama continues. But Arthur's old adversary, Odin, promises to ensure this is one party Camelot will never forget – for among the assembling guests lurks a deadly assassin set to strike.
As the dust settles, Camelot is left devastated. Just how far is Merlin prepared to go to put things right; would he really risk everything and reveal his secret?
|4||Aithusa||Alex Pillai||Julian Jones||22nd October 2011|
| The mysterious Julius Borden arrives in Camelot with news of a magical secret that threatens to change the landscape of the kingdom for ever, as the fantasy drama continues. He has located the final part of the key to the tomb of Ashkanar – an ancient mausoleum which holds a very special treasure: the last remaining dragon's egg.
Merlin is understandably drawn in by Borden's news and promises to help him. But just who is this enigmatic stranger and, more importantly, what does he really want with the egg?
|5||Episode 4.5||Alice Troughton||Jake Michie||29th October 2011|
| For the first time since his coronation, Arthur finds out what it's really like to be King, as the magical drama continues.
Arthur faces his first true test as King when he incurs the wrath of the formidable Queen Annis.
With the lives of thousands hanging in the balance, Arthur must find the strength to be his own man and become the leader Camelot so desperately needs.
|6||Episode 4.6||Alex Pillai ||Jake Michie||5th November 2011|
|7||Episode 4.7||Julian Jones||12th November 2011|
|8||Episode 4.8||19th November 2011|
|9||Episode 4.9||26th November 2011|
|10||Episode 4.10||Jeremy Webb||3rd December 2011|
|11||Episode 4.11||Jeremy Webb||10th December 2011|
|12||Episode 4.12||Alice Troughton||17th December 2011|
|13||Episode 4.13||Alice Troughton||24th December 2011|
- ↑ http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/03/18/merlin-season-4-back-to-a-full-13-episodes/
- ↑ http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=248189468534012&set=a.187880324564927.45033.187828841236742&type=1&theater
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Merlin, Series 4, The Wicked Day (2011-10-07)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Network TV BBC Week 43: Saturday 22 October 2011 (2011-10-07)
- ↑ http://www.tv.com/merlin/show/75429/series-4-spoilers-thread/topic/90585-2673222/msgs.html?page=0&tag=pagination;1
- ↑ http://twitter.com/#!/alicetroughton/status/76398098741596160
- ↑ http://twitter.com/#!/alicetroughton/status/67333052929552384
|The Darkest Hour • The Wicked Day • Aithusa • His Father's Son • A Servant of Two Masters • The Secret Sharer • Lamia • Lancelot du Lac • A Herald of the New Age • The Hunter's Heart • The Sword in the Stone|